I’ll start by saying you definitely don’t need to be vegan to enjoy this.
I might even go as far as to say its better than regular ricotta. It’s creamy and cheesy and oh so delicious! I am also not claiming that this tastes just like actual ricotta. But, who would have thought that I’d rather slather this on my toast, or mix it into my pasta or even bake up some pizza with it, than the traditional stuff. Trust me, it’s that good.
I stumbled upon making my own ricotta, like many things that I make, out of necessity. It was late at night, I had a bag of pre made pizza dough in the fridge and the craving just hit me. Pizza with mushrooms, ricotta and arugula. You might be thinking, “Why couldn’t you go to the store?” Well, because I’m lazy. “Why didn’t you wait until the next day to go to the store and make it?” Because – hungry.
All of these things landed me here, making vegan ricotta with what I had in the house. But you’re better than me. You’re going to make this easy 5 minute vegan ricotta because it’s delicious, not because you’re desperately hungry for pizza at 10pm…or maybe you are, I’m not judging.
Let’s get to it!
- 2 cups sliced almonds (or any almond that has already been blanched and cleaned, you don’t want skins on here)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup water
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Puree, scraping down the sides, until you have reached the consistency that you desire. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Spruce it up with add-ins like basil, dill, mint or any fresh herbs.
- Spread on some crunchy toast and top with a tomato. Make a white pizza with vegetables. Make a vegan lasagna. Top your pasta with it or add it to the sauce to make it creamy. The options are endless.