The Best Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
The only vegan carrot cake cupcakes you will ever need.
If we are being honest here, this recipe came out vegan of necessity more than anything else. Due to COVID-19 eggs and milk are hard to come by and I managed to buy far too many carrots.
With that being said, I will never make regular carrot cake ever again, these are the most fluffiest, moist and delicious carrot cupcakes I have ever had.
There are two tricks here, first and foremost vinegar is not an option here. This does not make the cupcakes taste or smell sour/vinegary, but combined with the baking soda it makes the crumb very airy. Secondly, don’t grate the carrots too large. This will make the batter heavy and not as fluffy as you’d like.
The frosting might not be as stiff as regular cream cheese frosting but it makes up for it in deliciousness! If you find the icing getting a little too soft, just pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes and it will firm up.
Let’s get baking!
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup AP flour
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 100 ml avocado oil (or any neutral oil)
- 100 ml pea protein milk (or vegan milk of your choice)
- ¼ cup coconut milk yogurt (or vegan yogurt of your choice)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp salt
Optional: Nuts and raisons
For the icing
- ⅓ cup room temperature vegan cream cheese (I prefer Vio Life)
- ⅓ cup room temperature vegan butter (I prefer Earth Balance European style)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Start by mixing all of your dry ingredients together. In a medium size bowl, combine your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine your wet ingredients. Combine the oil, milk, yogurt, vinegar and carrots. If you’d like to add nuts or raisons , add them here as well.
- Gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry and with a wooden spoon combine.
- With a ice-cream scoop or a ¼ measuring cup, scoop into your cupcake cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Take them out of the oven and let cool on the counter completely. While you wait for them to cool combine all of your icing ingredients and whisk until it’s completely smooth.
- Once the cupcakes are cool smooth over as much or as little icing as you’d like and enjoy!